On 26 – 28 February 2019 ,multiple organizations and community members joined together to collaborate on a shared movement to restore degraded land across the African Sahel on massive scale.
Core objectives of the conference were to:
- Share existing successful restoration strategies and seek to develop roadmaps for subsequent National-Level Evergreening/restoration planning processes
- Formalize an Evergreening movement in West Africa
- Create a supportive network of practitioners to support further spread of Farmer Managed Natural Regeneration (FMNR), and other restoration strategies including agroforestry and tree planting
- Provide a platform to reflect on and disseminate key successes and challenges of the spread of Evergreening and restoration strategies in West Africa
- Mobilize technical and financial partners to expand the Evergreening movement
- Further raise awareness and enthusiastic participation in massive land restoration processes within the region and globally.
Read the Beating Famine Conference declaration: